Aquifer Internal Medicine Cases
Aquifer cases were developed to teach clinical reasoning and medical decision making in the context of real patient presentations. Completion of eight Aquifer Internal Medicine cases is required for this clerkship. Each case takes 30-45 minutes depending on how fast you read and how many optional links you click. Create an account or if you are already registered for Aquifer Pediatrics, use your same user id and password.
- 36 cases cover the entire national internal medicine curriculum.
- Can be used in place of a textbook.
- Summary statement practice
- MCQ assessments with each case
- GENERAL MEDICINE WARDS: Cases 4 and 25 are STRONGLY recommended for week 1 of the general medicine services as they cover many high yield inpatient topics.
- ONCOLOGY SERVICE: Case 27 is STRONGLY recommended for week 1 if rotating on the oncology service .
- GI SERVICE: Case 11 is STRONGLY recommended for week 1 if rotating on the GI service.
- HIGH YIELD OUTPATIENT REVIEW: Cases 6, 8, 17 (common conditions) 13, 14, 16 (prevention) STONGLY recommended if you have not completed family medicine (or feel rusty on ambulatory topics)
- REQUIRED IM PRESENTATIONS: If you are unable to take care of a patient with one of the required presentations, make sure you complete AND log the appropriate Aquifer IM case. Cases that cover the required presentations are 2, 4, 7, 11, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 29, 33, 34, 35, 36
Other Aquifer courses that may be of interest to help you on this rotation include:
- Oral Presentation Skills- pediatrics cases that teaches principles of a good oral presentation
- Diagnostic Excellence- shorter cases but more in-depth about clinical reasoning (1, 3 , 3A, 5, 5A are most relevant to internal medicine)
- High Value Care- brief clinical cases addressing principles of HVC (cases 1-6, 9, & 12 are most relevant to internal medicine)